From: Walter Levison, Consulting Arborist
To: ASCA Discussion Group
Sent: 4/1/2008 11:20:18 PM
Subject: RE: Deodar cedar needle drop

Storrs notes in Trees and Shrubs of Nepal and the Himalayas that C. deodara is
found there most commonly at 2200 meters elevation. This is not really that
high, and temps may not actually dip as low as one would think at those
locations.

I was up in Tibet and Ladakh trekking at altitudes of about 14,000 to 18,000
(feet), and the temps were much lower than that experienced at 2200 (meters).

Storrs also notes ?the trees suffer a lot of damage at high altitudes due to
snow?. This probably means that the tree prefers the mid range of altitudes
where there is little or no snow. Hence the 2200 meter elevation average.

Walter Levison, RCA #401
SF Bay Area

Walter Levison, Consulting Arborist
Phone/Fax: 650-697-0990