Tree Ordinances and Policies
- Tree Ordinance — This site defines the different categories of tree ordinances. It then takes you through the steps of evaluating the need for a tree ordinance and the steps to create one.
- Guidelines for Developing and Evaluating Tree Ordinances — This site provides a variety of tools and resources for citizens and local governments interested in developing, revising, or evaluating local tree ordinances. Rather than using a "model ordinance" approach, they describe how tree ordinance development can be integrated with an overall community tree management program.
- Treeord Software for Tree Ordinance Development — Software are for cities to help them develop ordinances that will ensure the future of their community forests.
- Urban Forest Management Plan Toolkit —This site can be used by anyone managing a large population of trees in or near urban areas. The Toolkit website is intended to help urban forest managers develop management plans that are appropriate for their urban forests.
- Nature-Friendly Ordinances by James McElfish. Published by Environmental Law Institute.
- Urban Tree Conservation: a White Paper on Local Ordinance Approaches — This paper is a discussion of various approaches to conservation of urban forests on private property. It represents a collection of examples from ordinances from cities and counties around the United States, relevant scientific and policy information, and analysis and conclusions.
- Developing Successful Tree Ordinances — A white paper.
- Tree Ordinance Development Guidebook — Published by the Georgia Forestry Commision.
- Connecticut Tree Laws: a compilation of pertinent statutes and regulations for arborists, foresters, tree wardens and others involved with Connecticutâ€™s trees This is the table of contents for the publication with links to individual statutes.
State Ordinance Sites
- Connecticut (Chapter 87: Shade Trees) and (Chapter 15C: Scenic road designations; improvements; fines)
- New York
- North Carolina Trees and Local Regulations